Monday, November 19, 2012

Thoughts on Georgia part 2: Family

-->
For the second part of my Thoughts on Georgia series I will focus on the family life.  I would like to preface this document by saying that this is my personal perception of family life in the villages.  It may be different in other areas, but after comparing with other TLG volunteers it seems to be the norm in the villages of Samegrelo.  First I would like to talk about my family members, then the general roles of various family members.  I guess the inner anthropologist is coming out of me after all. 

I will start with my generation and work my way up to the older generations.  I have two host brothers Giorgi and Mancho who are 28 and 27 respectively.  Giorgi does not spend much time at home, as he lives and works in Chkhorotsku.  He is a hard working guy who passes on drinking, so that he can do work later.  This does not seem to be the norm for people this age in my village.  They usually just combine the drinking with working.  Mancho is a truly unique character.  He still lives in the household and is the schools gym teacher.  I have never seen him run a gym class, usually he stands outside smoking cigarettes while the kids run around the school yard.  He is friendly, and likes repeating a few one-liners around the house.  He recently got married, but I have not seen him since.  They are supposed to come home to move in, but it true Georgian fashion I have not been told a timeline of events.  When I meet Sohpo his wife, I will edit this to include her. 

Now to the parents generation.  My host dad, Shaloa, is the patriarch of the family.  He seems to have the most say about how things should be run, even if he is not doing the majority of the work.  He is a large man who likes to go out and socialize with the other men of the village.  Shaloa is a nice man who looks out for me like a son.  It has been great to be invited into the family by him.  Though there is a large language barrier we usually are able to convey our needs to each other.  He does not seem to converse much with the family unless it is about what needs to be done.  It could be the language barrier, but it seems to me that there is very little small talk throughout the family. 

Manana, my host mom is an absolute champ.  She does by far the most work in the family and really looks out for me.  She is the one who does all the cooking, cleaning, care of the animals, and any work around the house.  She takes a lot of pride in how her house is presented and it really is her castle.  Her personality is quite different form her work ethic.  She tends to be quiet and shy away from most of the action.  She will sit in the kitchen or on the bench in the corner while others are eating.  In general she does not join the table unless everyone else in done eating.  I have just been able to have her sit down and have tea in the evenings with me at the table.  She serves everyone and does not let any plate go empty.  I have been trying to talk to her more, but she usually just shies away and goes back to whatever work she was doing. 

My houst aunt, Lyra, is the most talkative of all of my parents generation.  She is a large diabetic Georgian lady who cares for me.  When I have any little need she is right there for me.  She is also a champion.  We listen to music together and watch tv shows.  I have found out that she really seems to like listening to Matisyahu and K’naan.  That’s fine we can rock out to reggae together.  She does not do as much work as Mana, and sticks to doing more of the house work such as washing clothes and dishes.  I feel that this is partly because she is not in shape and physically can not do the work.  She is a great lady and constantly making jokes with me.  Of all the people in my family she is the easiest to communicate, and is always up for acting things out with me. 

Now its to the last member of the family, my babia (grandma).  Talico is a sour old Georgian lady who seems to be constantly grumbling.  She goes around and still does farm work, even though she looks like she is ready to keel over.  It seems that I can never do enough to impress her and she is not a fan of having a foreign boy living with her family.   I am determined to win her over, and while my host dad is sleeping off his afternoon drinking I have been chopping wood.  She seems to like this because something as important as the heating seems to be neglected by Shaloa.  She is the strictest with gender rolls and refuses to sit at the table with me, even if there is nothing being served.  She eats in the kitchen when it is just the family eating.  Recently guests have been coming over to congratulate the family on Mancho getting married, so she has been eating with the guests.  This is partly because they are toasting to her and her family.  She takes extreme pride in how our family is perceived, and wants us to put out a good image.  The shenanagince that my host dad, brother, and I may get in does not seem to impress her, and I see the wheels in her head spinning thinking about how we could be doing something productive. 

In general it seems that men and women exist in different social circles.  Men tend to spend their time talking and doing various labor tasks including picking corn, fixing the house, and making wine.  Women are expected to take care of the household and make sure that things are in order.  This means all the cooking, cleaning, raising of children, as well as other farm chores.  The women defiantly work a lot harder than the men, and if it wasn’t for my host mom I don’t know where my family would be.  In public women and men do not tend to interact other than general courtesies. 

Eating provides another interesting look at social interactions.  The women will feed the men at the table, while remaining in the kitchen to eat.  That means lots of running back and forth to make sure that everything is full (plates and wine pitchers).  They do not sit down at the table while the men are eating, and will only join the table after everything is done.  It has been very interesting living here, because it is so radically different than the US.  The stratified society between the women and the men is defiantly the norm here in Georgia.  It is not as prevalent in the cities as the village, but it is clearly visible.  Hopefully as Georgia continues to westernize they will continue to modify their social roles.  It appears though that this is very far off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment