Wednesday, November 14, 2012

My thoughts on Georgia part 1: Education


So I’m coming up on being in this country for 100 days (with the brief interludes in Turkey and Armenia) and have had the opportunity to experience many vastly different things than what I am used to in the United States.  After reading many of my blog posts they tell great stories of the unique experiences, but seem to lack the daily life of Georgia and my personal perspectives on it.  So I will write down my thoughts in a five part series focusing on school, family life, food, politics, and general views of Georgia.  I have a feeling that these will be long detailed posts, so hold on to your pants because you’re about to go for a ride. 

First and foremost I would like to talk about my experiences working for a school system in a developing country, I mean after all this is why I’m here right.  I have two coteachers that I work with, therefore two very different teaching styles and personalities.  Before I get to what I have now, we must start from the beginning.  Personally I have extremely little training for working with children.  Apart from little interactions with kids at my dads daycare, I haven’t had too many chances to deal with them.  Yet being a native English speaker, as well as having a university degree I was perfectly qualified for this program.  It shows you how willing the Georgian school systems are to reform their image of post soviet schools of memorization.  After a week long training period on teaching methods, cultural adaption, and language lessons we were thrown into the field.  Luckily we had three weeks at home to live, travel, and experience Georgia until the school year started. 

Initially at my teacher introduction meeting with our coteachers and school directors I was told I would only be working with the teacher I was initially introduced to.  Like everything in Georgia that was subject to change (though I didn’t realize it at the time).  Come the first day of school I was introduced to two coteachers, which shocked me a little because I was told two days before that I would only be working with one.  Oh well I rolled with the punches and played along with it for two days.  After then, the new teacher decided she wanted a transfer and abruptly left the school.  We waited until the next Monday, when I was introduced to the teachers that I am working with now. 

As for the schedule it constantly changes, however it seems to have settled down quite a bit as of recent.  In the beginning it would change every day, and all I could do was show up for class before first period and wait to be told where to go.  Gradually the school settled upon what seems to be a format that works for them, however it took 4 weeks for that to be hammered out.  Just like with the teachers all I could do was roll with the punches and accept what was going on. 

On the topic of supplies the school is in a strange conundrum.  I am in one of the newest schools in the country, and the shadow of the old crumbling soviet school building can be seen from all the classrooms.  Just because a school building is new does not mean that it is properly equipped, or built with quality techniques.  The school is less than a year old, yet concrete is falling from the walls, paint is peeling, and there is major problems with the electrical system.  It is nice to be in a new building compared to some of my friends experiences, but I know that like many things in Georgia the new school building is just a patch on a much larger problem.  The chalkboards are beat up, clearly rescued from the old school building, but that’s not the half of it.  We are in dire need of supplies to properly educate the students, with little help in sight.  Teachers must provide chalk if they want it, and students must provide their own textbooks, paper, notebooks, ect.  Many of the parents can not afford to buy every subjects books so students come to class with all, some, or none of the materials that are needed for the class.  It has been a juggling act to accommodate everyone’s needs.  One thing is certain though; I have been trying with the best of my abilities to cater to each student. 

My two coteachers are extremely different, and it has been quite a challenge to meet both their needs.  The first teaches years 1 and 2 as well as many of the older grades.  Here we have been working on the alphabet and basic word recognition.  It has been tricky teaching the 1st graders, because they are learning the English alphabet at the same time as the Kartuli alphabet.  Though she still relies mostly memorization, she has been open to trying other teaching methods.  With here I am able to introduce games, songs, and different things to the students routines.  It seems to be helping, and the kids are reacting very well to me trying new things on them.  Not bad for someone with no training, right. 

I have a completely different experience with my other coteacher.  We work together for years 3 through 6, so I spend the vast majority of my time with her.  She does not want to stray from the way that she was taught, which was straight rote memorization and translation.  If I did not interject, she would be perfectly happy having the kids recite passages that they do not understand all day long.  She will have me read them something then translate it while I am reading.  Some of the translations actually hinder the education process.  A perfect example of this is when we are asking children to identify a picture that I am describing.  I will describe it in English and she will translate the description before the children have answered.  No doubt they just wait for her to describe it in their own language, and do not pay heed to the English passage.   For discipline she just screeches and yells at the children, pounds on the desk, and occasionally pulls hair and twists ears.  When I discussed this with the other teachers and my fellow TLG volunteers it seems to be the norm.  I continually try to compromise with her, however she is stubborn in her ways and it does not look like I will be able to make much progress opening her eyes to other teaching methods.  Oh well what am I but an untrained foreigner that she is forced to deal with in the classroom.

Now to the best part of the school experience, the students.  Every day as I walk into the schoolyard, through the halls, out of the bathroom, and everywhere on the premises children call out Helloooo teacha.  They try so hard to be recognized and work in the classroom, even after the initial shock of having an American in their village has worn off.  Even if they do not know the answer their hands shoot up and some students nearly fall out of their chairs to get noticed.  They do their reciting of memorized passages with pride, and love it to hear a dzalian kargi from me (my second coteacher does not seem to give much positive reinforcement).  There is a surprising disparity between students, even within the same class.  I have some students that can read wonderfully, and have near perfect pronunciation in the same class as students who can barely copy characters down from off the board.  This leads us to often split up the class.  While I help the students who are struggling my coteacher will have the advanced teachers continue their translation of various reading passages.  This is not the case in year 1 and 2 because they are both starting from scratch and all know nothing.  The kids here are champs and they are trying hard to impress me and learn English.  The older kids are starting to see western music and culture, so the want to be American and have further incentive to learn English.  Whether it is a good reason or not, it seems to motivate the older kids (especially the high schoolers).

All in all I have learned a lot from my experience with the Georgian school system.  I have found that your coworkers can make or break the teaching experience.  In this department I have had a mixed bag, but I think that it has given me a better perspective of what is actually going on.  It is a system that in continually changing and trying to adapt to a changing world.  Some are willing to accept this change, while others remain rooted in the familiarity of their previous educations.  Is there work that still needs to be done, absolutely, but one thing remains the same.  The kids are there and for the most part enthusiastic about their education and the differences that they have been undergoing seem to have been working. 

No comments:

Post a Comment