Monday, September 17, 2012

First day of school

So the last blog was about my activities outside of the village, this one is about the first day of school.  So I got up early shower, shave, quick breakfast and off to school.  After a half hour hike I was at the school by 8:15 (my host family didn't know when it would start but figured it was around 8:30 to 9:00.  It turns out the school day does not start until 9:00 and my first lesson is not until 10:00.  The school then threw another curve ball at me.

The teacher that I was expecting to work with actually does not work with the grades that I am teaching, so I have to work with another teacher.  We had done no training together (didn't attend the intro meeting about lesson planning) and were both not expecting it.  In addition she has never taught a class before, because she just graduated university and they do not do student teaching.  Never less us two 22 year olds found ourselves in front of three classes of students and their parents in the corners.  We teach 3rd grade, 5th grade, and 6th grade.  There were no books avaliable so we had to wing another plan (now were up to no lesson plan and no books).

The classes were small (7 to 15 students) and for the most part well behaved.  My 6th grade class is definitely the most rowdy and we will have to work to reign in all their energy.  Hopefully it will die down as they get into a rhythm and get used to the school year.  They don't stop with the questions about me and are fascinated by everything American.  It was great to be doing something and actually have a job to do in Georgia.  I am looking forward to the school year and how it plays out.

No comments:

Post a Comment